From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 13 Nov 2003 - 04:09:43 GMT

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:45:38PM +1100, Charles Dale wrote:
> Given no one seems to care about us poor Red Hat weenies who want to use our
> gimboid Red Hat patched kernels (sound of weeping and moaning)... I've
> decided to Become a Kernel Hacker. Sorry everyone!

welcome to the club ...

> I had a vain hope that I might be able to just wack the stock 2.4.20 vserver
> v1.0 patch on the Red Hat patched kernel. Nooooo... I got these rejects:

[zapped]

> I can fix the Makefile reject... The others I'm not so sure about...
>
> Can someone give me pointers on where to start trying to resolve these?

well, try to understand what the patched code does,
then try to implement that on the 'new' kernel ...
this is the only way to make sure, you didn't miss
something ...

> I had a look at some of them. Oftentimes it just seems to be a change in
> nomenclature between the stock 2.4.20 and the RH kernel. E.g. the p_opptr
> struct member seems to have changed to parent or similar in the RH kernel,
> so the patch doesn't match. However I can't work out what the vserver change
> is meant to do so I can't work out how to change it...

first I would suggest that you take the latest devel
release for your kernel version, then I would suggest
to work through the splitted up patches, one by one,
this way, you can reduce the possibility of unwanted
changes (as you would not modify syscall code, when
you work on the network patch, and vice versa)

> So ahm yeah I'm sorry that I've had to do this but I really want a running
> kernel with NPTL etc... Looks like there would be a number of others

hmm, well, the idea of a 'stable' kernel release
is, and the kernel folks several times told me, NOT
to change any kernel/userspace interfaces ... so for
me either RH userspace is 2.4 compliant, in which case
you can use the default kernel, or RH doesn't ship
a 2.4 kernel anymore ...