From: Charles Dale (bug_at_aphid.net)
Date: Sun 23 Nov 2003 - 14:00:36 GMT

Hi Tyrone,

Unfortunately the documentation is still under development so you'll have to
do a bit of work to understand how things function. That said, there is some
documentation already, could you start from there and let us know what you
need explained more? Then perhaps we can fill in the details for others too.

If you're not willing to get your hands dirty you might want to go with
Virtuozzo - the vserver project is not nicely polished like it might be. But
that's better, because you'll actually learn how everything works, and so be
able to fix it when it breaks!

[Firstly: yes vservers work on RH9. You won't be able to use FreeVPS though,
you'll have to use the standard vserver patches and tools that are available
from linux-vserver.org. This means you can't use a Red Hat modified kernel
but that shouldn't be a problem (I'm running my vservers on RH9 with a
vanilla kernel at the moment).]

The Step-by-Step Guide[1] outlines the general steps required: building a
kernel, installing the vserver tools, then setting up your vserver.

1. http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=Step-by-Step+Guide

Unfortunately the details aren't there. The FAQ[2] contains lots of useful
hints.