From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 30 Nov 2003 - 23:11:03 GMT

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:41:36PM -0500, al3x wrote:
> Hello Herbert,
>
> Sunday, November 30, 2003, 9:18:49 AM, you wrote:
>
> HP> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:05:50AM -0500, al3x wrote:
> >> Hello everybody.
> >>
> >> Can I suggest incremental kernel patches? It's pretty easy
> >> to create but saves
> >> the hell lot of time for applying to modified kernels -
> >> personally I have to manually straighten
> >> some problems with grsecurity patch.
> >> This way transition from development patches to release
> >> will be more smooth.
> >> Unless there is some reason for not doing this.
>
> HP> hmm, no problem with that, what incrementals do you
> HP> have in mind? vs1.00 -> vs1.1.6 or just vs1.1.0->
> HP> vs1.1.1 ... or just between stable releases?
>
> Just 1 incremental patch towards previous version with
> stable/development will do the trick. It can be like this:
> development/stable release 1.1.N : patch-1.1.N and
> patch-1.1.N-1.1.(N-1).inc

okay, what I still don't know is, would the first 'delta'
be from 1.00 to 1.1.0 or from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 and do you
want the difference from 1.1.<last> to 1.20 too or just
the changes between 1.00 and 1.20?

> That will also make easy to rollback to whatever was working
> for you before last patch.

hmm, honestly, do you think that someone who has splitted
up the vserver patch in currently 10 pieces, doesn't exactly
know (and have detailed patches) for everything that was
added/changed?