From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 01 Dec 2003 - 14:41:02 GMT

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 09:15:33AM -0500, mile1_at_bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hello Herbert,
>
> I have a question to ask? what is the difference between
> the current vserver, and Freevps?

well, FreeVPS is a late branch of vserver which was done
by Alexey Lyashkov who adapted the vserver patches to the
redhat kernel (around 2.4.18) ...

this branch has some (experimental) features not yet in
vserver (at least not in stable) like the virtualized
network and routing tables, or some resource limits ...

> Hsphere uses this for their vps solution, they also the perl
> scripts that they run against(kernel, version 2.4.18-27.7,
> patched to support VPS, and their own version of the vserver
> called hsphere-vps-0.98-29.noarch.rpm.

> They have some how found a way to allocate memory for the
> vservers.

what they actually do is setting and enforcing a memory
limit and a kind of RSS guarantee, which can be seen
as 'allocating' memory for a vserver ...

> Is this possible with the current vserver & kernel

yes, this is possible, we have working memory limits
and experimental RSS limits/guarantee in some devel
releases but not for stable yet ...

> kernel-2.4.21ctx-17c.tar.gz?

that isn't the current kernel ... see the changelog
http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=ChangeLog

HTH,
Herbert