From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Sun 07 Dec 2003 - 23:25:11 GMT

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:42, Roderick A. Anderson wrote;

> Use of uninitialized value in subtraction (-) at
> /root/bin/unify-dirs line 399.
> Looks like my cute idea for vserver names backfired. I'm going to
rename
> the directory and try again shortly.

This error means that the lstat() returned undef, which shouldn't have
happened - as directories are always checked for existence before
being placed onto that array. Perhaps the directories were in an
active state of flux?

Either way, it should be nothing to do with the name of the directory.
That script should be safe with filenames with embedded control
characters, or even nulls if your OS supports them :-).

Running the script with -v or -d makes it a lot easier to debug.
Could you run the script with -d and send me the output?

Please also forward me the output of:

perl -le 'eval"use $_",print"$_: ".${$_.::VERSION} foreach
qw(Pod::Constants Class::Tangram Set::Object ReadDir);'

and:

perl -V

If it segfaults, run it inside the debugger (ie perl -d unify-dirs -d
...) and just let it rip. Actually the best thing to do is to trap it
with gdb and do a stack backtrace; get yourself a debug-perl and:

gdb /usr/bin/debug-perl
> b main
> r -d /root/bin/unify-dirs -d
PerlDB <1> c
*segv*
> bt

If you make sure that the modules are built with debugging symbols,
you can usually see clearly which module the bug is in... these sorts
of bugs can be hard to track down otherwise.

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net