From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 16 Dec 2003 - 15:56:47 GMT

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:26:44PM +0100, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've come across a strange problem with the vserver 1.2.x patch applied.
> The system is an Athlon Thunderbird machine with an ami megaraid 500
> scsi controller as boot device.
> This system fails to boot with the message "unable to mount root fs".

that sounds _really_ interesting ...

> The filesystem is reiserfs. This only happens with the vs-1.20 to
> vs-1.22 patches.

could you, just for the fun of doing it, try
the development version vs1.3.0 ...
(if this is related, I would expect it to fail)

> If I boot a kernel with the same .config and no vserver patch, or the
> vserver-1.00 patch everything works fine.

> The scsi, scsi-disk, megaraid2 and reiserfs are compiled in, no initrd,
> or such.

> The same kernel works fine if the boot device is an ide drive.

> Any ideas?/Should I mail .config?

maybe you could do a 'normal' bootup and save the
dmesg output, then a 'failing' one and compare the
bootup messages ... (maybe capture the second via
serial line or net console ...