From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 04 Jan 2004 - 11:25:20 GMT

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:04:10PM +0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> [...]
> ipv4root is now 10.0.0.16
> Host name is now sis.kic.muangchiangrai.net
> Domain name is now
> New security context is 50
> Starting system logger: [ OK ]
> Starting kernel logger: [ OK ]
> Starting sshd: [ OK ]
> Starting crond: [ OK ]
> Starting atd:
>
> I change the listening addresses for sshd in the host and vserver as
> mentioned in the docs.
>
> I also edited :
> /vserver/sis/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and
> /vserver/sis/etc/inittab
> and commented out most of both of those files.
>
> But when I :
> [root_at_vs0 rc.d]# vserver sis stop
> Stopping the virtual server sis
> Server sis is running
> ipv4root is now 10.0.0.16
> New security context is 50
> Stopping atd: [ OK ]
> Stopping sshd: [ OK ]
> Stopping crond: [ OK ]
> Shutting down kernel logger: [FAILED]
> Shutting down system logger: [ OK ]
> Starting killall: [ OK ]
> Sending all processes the TERM signal... [ OK ]
> Sending all processes the KILL signal... [ OK ]
> Saving mixer settings aumix: error opening mixer
> [FAILED]
> Syncing hardware clock to system time hwclock is unable to get I/O port
> access:
> the iopl(3) call failed.
> [FAILED]
> Turning off swap: Not superuser.
> [FAILED]
> Turning off quotas: quotaoff: Can't stat() mounted device /dev/hda5: No
> such file or directory
> [ OK ]
> Unmounting file systems: umount2: No such file or directory
> umount: /vservers: not found
> umount2: Invalid argument
> umount: /usr: not mounted
> umount2: Invalid argument
> umount: /tmp: not mounted
> umount2: No such file or directory
> umount: /opt: not found
> umount2: Invalid argument
> umount: /home: not mounted
> umount2: No such file or directory
> umount: /boot: not found
> [FAILED]
> /vservers: No such file or directory
> /opt: No such file or directory
> /boot: No such file or directory
> No automatic removal. Please use umount /proc
> No automatic removal. Please use umount /dev/pts
> No automatic removal. Please use umount /proc
> No automatic removal. Please use umount /dev/pts
> No automatic removal. Please use umount /proc
> No automatic removal. Please use umount /dev/pts
> /usr/local/sbin/vserver: line 786: 1323 Killed
> $CHBIND_CMD $SILENT $IPOPT --bcast $IPROOTBCAST $CHCONTEXT_CMD $SILENT
> $CAPS --secure --ctx $S_CONTEXT $CAPCHROOT_CMD . $STOPCMD
> sleeping 5 seconds
> Killing all processes
>
> I still have lots of errors shutting down things that I never explicitly
> started, the kernel log daemon, and things not mounted in the vserver

unfortunately this is/was expected, because the
sysv init scripts of most distributions need some
reworking to run without errors ...

a) /etc/init.d/syslog usually starts two loggers
   the system logger and the kernel logger

   as no vserver has access to kernel logging
   stuff, the startup of the kernel logger will
   fail, which isn't detected by most scripts
   (reporting success on startup) but results in
   an error when the same script tries to stop
   the kernel logger ...

b) at shutdown (usually runlevel 6) as final step
   almost every distro does some unmounting and
   hardware stuff (setting hw clock, storing
   random seed, quota, etc) before the actual
   'reboot'

   this will fail, as most operations are not
   allowed, or simply wrong (like unmounting
   everything in /proc/mounts ...) so it is best
   to remove the entire stop script ...

> I'd appreciate any insight into this situation that might be offered.
>
> Thanks for all your help thus far.

HTH,
Herbert