From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 07 Jan 2004 - 00:01:11 GMT

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:04:17PM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
>
> > > - cleanup of the ili stuff
> > > - XFS ili support [ck1]
> > what is 'ili'?

yeah, I was wondering too what ili would be and
what it will become, well in the development
branch it now became 'immutable unlink' or short
'iunlink' ...

> It might make you ill?
> Sorry. I think 'immutable link invert' or something along
> those lines. Don't ask me what it is 'cause all I know is
> it _might_ have been the cause one of my problems.
> I am still too new to this kernel stuff to understand
> all that's happening.

okay, short explanation: immutable link(age) invert

there is a flag (on most linux filesystems) called
the Immutable flag, which, when set, blocks any
attempts to modify or remove the file ... this flag
becomes handy, when for example as done with vserver
some files can be shared amongh different contexts
(like it is done with unified servers), but how could
such an immutable file in a vserver ever be updated?

well it can't that was the reason for adding another
flag, which was done by Sam Vilain, to weaken this
Immutability by allowing to remove the file although
the Immutable flag is set.

luckily most package systems remove any old files
before they install new ones, so this is almost
natural to most systems ...

HTH,
Herbert