From: Mike Fischer (mike.fischer_at_ipsi.fraunhofer.de)
Date: Tue 13 Jan 2004 - 15:55:06 GMT

Andreas Scholz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i've tried vserver (ctx 0.16) some time ago[1], and
> now i'am going to set up our new main-server.
>
> For my first try i used Debain 3.0, both for Host and
> vservers, but according to company-policy i have
> to use SuSE[2].
>
> My web search was quite poor, i don't need a how-to
> for setup the host (i hope), but for installing SuSE [3]
> as vserver.
>
> It would be very nice if someone who runs SuSE inside
> a vserver would point me to a install how-to.
> Please tell me whether you are using SuSE Linux for both
> host and vserver, and share your experiences please !!
>
> Thanks for your time + hints - Andreas
>
> [1] worked fine
> [2] No, there is no way around!
> [3] Version 9 or > will be used

I use SuSE 8.2 as host and vserver.
I've even got a one of their OpenExchange Servers running inside a
vserver. Gotta use vanilla.

It's pretty straightforward like a normal install
Forget about patching SuSE's kernelsources with the vserver patch, though.

Only thing I encountered was that you have to use fakeinit in the
S_FLAGS, otherwise no processes will be run.

Everything runs dandy, but I think I didn't install all functionality,
e.g. no one can reboot from inside a vserver.

Hope this helps,
Mike Fischer

--
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft e.V.
IPSI.ITI

Dolivostr. 15 64293 Darmstadt Telefon: 06151 / 869 - 845