From: Floris 'Tamama' van Gog (floris_at_vangog.net)
Date: Thu 29 Jan 2004 - 21:58:19 GMT

Answers interleaved.

> 1) should the 2.4 branch be frozen, and if when?

I think you can freeze this as soon as 2.6 becomes stable enough to rely
on. Big security holes/crashes could be patched, but not new features.

> 2) is it bad if 2.4 and 2.6 branches diverge?

I do not think so, see above

> 3) is multitude (2.4/2.6/2.6SE) preferred over
> development speed?

I prefer secure over speed ;-), but I do not see any use in supporting 2
branches for new developments, as the reason why I would stay with an
older 'trusted' version is that 'it works and don't want to touch it'

> 4) is a 2.4/2.6 migration path important to you?

Yes. I would prefer to not have to change anything if I want to change
to a newer version (assuming the 'new' features are by default off if
they could be potentially dangerous or different from the 2.4 branch)

> 5) what branch 2.4, 2.6 or 2.6SE would you prefer?

At this point, 2.4 since I run it, in the future, possibly 2.6

> 6) what branch/version do you currently use/test?

2.4.24-vs1.22