From: Bjoern Steinbrink (bjoern.steinbrink_at_isp4p.net)
Date: Tue 03 Feb 2004 - 01:04:54 GMT

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 01:58, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> > > I noticed that when starting a command like this in the root server:
> > >
> > > chcontext --ctx 110 mysql -u username -p -h myhost
> > >
> > > The IP address is not changed. Access to the mysql database is not
> >
> > To change the IP you must run chbind ;)
>
> Errr...? If you run a command in an already running vserver, should that
> command run in the environment of that vserver, which also includes
> that context's IP?

If I got it right, the context and ip binding is process bound. What the
vserver script does is to setup an initial process bound to a specific
context and ip adress(es) that then fires up the vserver, as the childs
inherit the context/ip bindings you get everything inside the vserver
bound to that context/ip.

Just calling chcontext will bind the new process to the context
specified, but not to an ip address, as the ip bindings do not belong to
a context but only to processes. (Actually, if the calling process is
bound to an ip address the new process will also be bound to that
address.)

If you had a running vserver in context 123 with ips 127.0.0.2 and
127.0.0.3, you could start a process xyz in that context that is only
bound to ip 127.0.0.3 but not 127.0.0.2 by issuing

chcontext --ctx 123 chbind --ip 127.0.0.3 xyz

from within the root server. By issuing

chcontext --ctx 123 chbind --ip 127.0.0.4 xyz

you can even start a process inside context 123 that is bound to
127.0.0.4 although from within the 'vserver' you do not have access to
this ip adress.

What I'm basically trying to say is: context != vserver ;)

Bjoern Steinbrink