From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 07 Feb 2004 - 03:30:55 GMT

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 06:12:58PM -0800, Cathy Sarisky wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> RedHat (at least 9, not sure about earlier) is affected by vs1.25 also -
> although most things work normally, useradd creates a directory with 000
> permissions that root is not able to chmod. Can anyone running RH confirm
> that vs1.26 doesn't have the issue before I build the kernel?

although I don't use a RH system, I'm pretty sure that,
if used correctly, vs1.26 doesn't have this issue ...

the check was extended and now requires 000 and the
IUNLINK flag to be set on the directory, which should
not be possible to create or remove from inside a vps

so it should be safe at least till the next exploit 8-)

HTH,
Herbert

> Thanks!
> Cathy
>
> p.s Herbert - thank you for the VERY fast response to the vulnerability.
> :)

well, to fast, as we have seen ;)