From: Thomas Gelf (vserver_at_gelf.net)
Date: Fri 27 Feb 2004 - 08:03:09 GMT

I believe that limiting the number of possible ip addresses is
definitively the wrong way:

- most vservers need only one ip address
- if you start hosting many ssl sites on a single vserver even 200
  or more ip addresses will not be enough
- Christian proposed using an ip/wildcard combination to limit
  addresses. this seems unusable to me as from my experience your
  provider over the years will assign you many different small
  subnets - at least if you depend on RIPE
- i believe that with IPv6 ssl-based webhosting and ip-based vhosts
  will increase dramatically - so 16, 32 or even 64 ip addresses per
  vserver will be useless

vserver still needs better networking support - and in my eyes at the
moment the best solution will be:

- one TUN/TAP Device per vserver, bridging them to eth0 (like UML, see
  http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/networking.html, section
  "TUN/TAP with a preconfigured tap device"
- the possibility to define the name of the interface as it will be
  visible inside the vserver
- the possibility to add more than one interface to one vserver, as
  adding many bridges to a real host is also no problem
- context-based routing support
- virtual loopback devices
- per-context netfilter... - full networking support!

is it possible to realize this?
how much work would it be?

the first part (tun/tap interface == virtual eth0 inside the vserver,
bridge them to real eth0, allow CAP_NET_ADMIN for the visible interfaces
only) should be no problem, what about per-context routing/firewalling?

Cheers,
Thomas