From: Cedric Veilleux (cedric_at_neopeak.com)
Date: Sun 07 Mar 2004 - 12:50:25 GMT

Hi,

   I haven't seen the topic raised yet on the list so I am posting a
small message to anyone allowing untrusted users to execute code inside
a vserver.

   The recently discovered local privilege escalation vulnerability
(http://isec.pl/vulnerabilities/isec-0014-mremap-unmap.txt) does work
inside a vserver and allows to become root inside the vserver. Of course
this does not allow to break out of the vserver completly, but if you
have not yet upgraded to 1.25/1.26 yet, it can be combined with the
chmod() vulnerability to break out.

   Kernel 2.4.25 is not vulnerable. The latest stable version of
linux-vserver is available for this kernel version.

--
Cedric Veilleux