From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 11 Mar 2004 - 14:36:17 GMT

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 08:41:09AM -0500, Chris Besignano wrote:
> I need to run a few different websites on my box using vservers. What
> method does everyone use to route the traffic from eth1 (externel
> interface, real ip) to the vservers bound to eth0 (internal ip,
> 192.168.x.x network)?

there is no way to _route_ traffic from eth1 to an
ip bound to eth0, what you want is to nat the
incomming connections to yield valid for the local
ips, for example:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst <ext-ip> -p tcp --dport 80
        -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.1

keep in mind, that you cannot access different web
servers (running on different hosts/vservers) through
one external ip/port unless you use a smart proxy,
which knows how to read and forward the HTTP requests

if you want to reach the internet from a local ip
range, then you do similar on outgoing traffic:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --src 192.168.0.1
        -j SNAT --to <ext-ip>

> Darryl Ross wrote:

that is what the v_* sysv scripts are for
(limiting _host_ services to just some ips)

HTH,
Herbert