From: Thomas Guettler (hv_at_tbz-pariv.de)
Date: Wed 17 Mar 2004 - 09:57:27 GMT

Hi,

I am new to vserver. I read the very good introduction
at:
http://dns.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc?dp=0&full=1&prjstate=1&nodoc=0

Versions:
vserver: 2.4.25-vs1.3.8
util-vserver-0.29.3
vproc-0.01

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Problem:
edison:~ # chcontext bash
New security context is 49152
edison:~ # ps
Error: /proc must be mounted
  To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
      /proc /proc proc defaults
  In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
edison:~ # ls /proc/
. .. 1 1309 1317 mounts self

With the help of google I found that vproc is needed.
for file /proc/*;
 do echo $file;
 vproc -e $file && echo OK || echo FAILED;
done

vproc does return 0 if failed. Should be easy to fix.

Now it works. I think the error "/proc must be mounted" is
frequent and should be in the FAQ.
It would be nice to have a list of proc entries which
should be visible. Or make the entries without security
risc always visible by default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other-Stuff:

- Would be nice if you could download the mailarchiv as mbox.

- Typo (Utils):
   vserver-copy
   # Copyright (C) 2003 Mark Lawrence <nomad_at_null.net>,
   # **2203**,2004 Enrico Scholz

- Typo (Utils):
   man vps
   that enables ps to show you *the* all the processes

- How can I list the current status with vproc (hidden/visible)?

- What should be used: setattr or vproc?

- Utils: Why is S_FLAG sched not the default?

- Utils: I think it would be better if
   the config file /etc/vservers/foo.conf created by "vserver foo build"
  does not contain "if $PROD".

- Utils:
   vserver: if test "$UTIL_VSERVER_AVOID_COPY"
   I think this is needed very often. I would split
   the build process in a copy and a sett permissons
   action.
   I prevere to copy the root of a vserver myself, since
   it should not be the one of the host.

- General: It is sad that there are several FAQs and
  a wiki. It is easier for newbies if there is one central
  documentation.

- A link from
   http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=Linux-VServer
   Links to the wiki-mailinglist. There the link to the archive is broken.

Thank you very much for this software!

 Thomas