From: Liam Helmer (linuxlists_at_thevenue.org)
Date: Mon 10 May 2004 - 17:23:35 BST

I'm not sure it will be THAT big a deal. Most of the upgrades to
software are required specifically for things like e2fs utils, etc ->
things that require access to the kernel syscalls. I remember running
redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.4pre1 (back in the day), and there was very
little I needed to do to get it running for a full system.

Give it a try.
If not, I think there's still patches for usermode linux on kernel
2.2.x... then you can have a virtual 2.2.x kernel to play with.

Cheers,
Liam