From: Dennis Roos (dennis_at_intouch.nl)
Date: Thu 13 May 2004 - 11:44:17 BST

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 01:17, Liam Helmer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:31, Dennis Roos wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Here's the problem:
> > Users inside the vserver are unable to traceroute (ping works fine, due
> > to the CAP_NET_RAW)... traceroute complains about the (source)
> > interface, like so:
> > root # traceroute -n www.google.nl
> > traceroute: findsaddr: Can't find interface "eth1"
> > If I specify the source interface (using the vserver's alias), the trace
> > completes, eg:
> > traceroute -n www.google.nl -i eth1:VSERVER01
>
> I think that you best bet is probably just
> alias traceroute="traceroute -i eth1:VSERVER01"
I was thinking of adding this alias as an intermediate, until I find a
way to fix the problem.

> The problem is that traceroute is bypassing the routing tables to find
> it's source address: it queries the ethernet interface directory, but
> it doesn't have enough access.
I think the problem lies in the fact that I'm using aliases and it seems
traceroute without proper guidance refuses to start from an alias
interface, guess we'll have to wait for the virtual interface
implementation ;)

> I seem to remember someone who put together a protocol independent
> traceroute, could do udp, or gre, or a couple of other things. Haven't
> use it much for a while though. I suspect that just using a more modern
> (i.e. post-BSD) utility will work better for you.
I know there are alternatives around (plenty, thanks to the community),
however my current templates are based on this version... time to build
a new template :)

--
Regards,
Dennis Roos

Network Engineer InTouch N.V. Middenweg 76 1097 BS Amsterdam Tel: +31 (0)20 6752060 Fax: +31 (0)20 6758429