From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Wed 23 Jun 2004 - 00:35:51 BST

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > Fixes that may work or help. Vserver names of four or less characters.
> > Use nameif and make eth0 and eth1 something shorter. WAN, LAN?
>
> actually no need for that, because the limit is at
> 15 chars totla, which leaves 10 chars for vserver
> (assuming ethX:), which in turn means that you can
> have a name up to 9 chars, for up to 10 aliases, or
> 8 chars for 100 (current max 16) aliases ...

I should have been clearer. The 'ifconfig' command displays (by default
and I couldn't find a way to change that) nine characters. I use
ifconfig quite a bit so I tend think in those size terms.

Looking at your math above I got lost on the

        '(current max 16) aliases ...'

   I thought the limit was much higher; as in around 255 aliases per
interface.

I probably just misunderstand.

Rod