From: Christian Mayrhuber (christian.mayrhuber_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon 26 Jul 2004 - 15:01:52 BST

On Monday 26 July 2004 15:41, Veit Wahlich wrote:
> Am Mo, den 26.07.2004 schrieb Ehab Heikal um 14:25:
> > How do I compile latest 1.28 for SMP ( dual xeons I am dreaming to get )
>
> You should not expect any problems. Simply enable SMP. Set the max.
> number of CPUs to 4 to enable both SMP and Hyperthreading. Some people
> prefer a value of 8 for 2 CPU Xeon systems because of any timing
> profits, but I believe this to be a superstition and it did only make
> sense in earlier 2.4 kernels where a bug prevented the second CPU to be
> detected.

I had two kernel panic's with linux vserver and a dual xeon system.
One with vs1.22 and one with vs1.26.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think this maybe some gcc 2.95.4 bug.
The crashing kernel were compiled with gcc-2.95.4 after 2-3 weeks
of uptime.
The same kernel compiled with gcc-3.2.x did not crash.
I did not get at the panic dump, because the machine had to
be rebooted.
The same gcc-2.95.4 compiled kernels had no problems on an Athlon machine.

I'd suggest not to use gcc-2.95 to compile for xeon machines.

--
lg, Chris