From: Avery Pennarun (apenwarr_at_nit.ca)
Date: Mon 02 Aug 2004 - 23:31:13 BST

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:11:22AM +1200, Sam Vilain wrote:

> Reiserfs3 is supposed to be stable , but the last time I had a
> filesystem gain mysterious unstat()able inodes with it was only months
> ago, with 2.4.25.

For what it's worth, we use reiser3 on every server we sell (several
thousand so far) and have never run into reiser random corruption problems
except in the case of hardware that later turned out to be definitely
faulty.

We always run a memory test on every server before it ships, and we return
about 25% of motherboards to the manufacturer before shipping because of
this :( Some computers do go bad about a year later, eg. because of the
"exploding capacitor" problem that started a couple of years ago.

Computers nowadays are *really* badly made. It's hard to believe until you
have a large sample size, but it's true.

Have fun,

Avery

P.S. On the other hand, at least you know e2fsck has been well tested.
Nobody ever actually runs reiserfsck, which doesn't help its reliability.