From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Thu 02 Sep 2004 - 23:55:06 BST

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> hmm, wrong diagnose ... actually the following is true:

Sorry I was feeling so good about getting everything working so smoothly I
was being a little irrelevant and just plain silly.

> a) 'vserver blabla start' creates a virtual context and
> either kicks init (the fakeinit variant) or manually
> starts the runlevel scripts (to get some services up)
>
> b) when the last process in a context dies, the context
> is automatically removed and with it the 'notion' of
> a virtual server
>
> c) the vserver-stat does only list contexts actually
> active
>
> so what happens here is not that the vserver is 'idle'
> because there is no service running inside, it actually
> does only exist for a few seconds, and vanishes then ...
>
> now the expected question, why does it respond to ping
> then? it doesn't and probably vservers will never respond
> to pings, but the interface address/alias is configured
> and as usual the host will answer a ping ...

I know that!!! I was thinking that if 'vserver xxx start' failed the
ifconfig would not work so there would be no interface to ping against.

> please have a look at the documentation, especially on
> the entworking stuff, if you want to know more details

I will.

Herbert, Enrico; thanks.

Rod