From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 26 Sep 2004 - 14:56:40 BST

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:06:38AM -0700, Christian Hergert wrote:
> first of all, the vserver mailman signup page is currently broken, so
> please reply to me as well.

from the wiki (linux-vserver.org)

# [Mailing List] Contact vserver(at)tuxbox[dot]nu for questions
   regarding the mailing list (currently subscribing and unsubscribing
   can only be done by mailing that address)

Martin: if this is going to be a 'permanent' bug, please add that
        or similar info to the mailman page and to the footer.

> Im curious to what the status of networking is within the contexts.

currently 'shared' networking is fine, and in the near future
'isolated' networking (ngn) will probably replace the existing
solution ...

> I would like to setup a virtual router with vserver if possible
> (and if not, start hacking on it).

have a look at freevps (which implements per vserver routing
tables and such IIRC) as this is not the way linux-vserver is
going at the moment ...

nevertheless feel free to implement your own solution (based
on linux-vserver) if what you find doesn't suit your needs.

> If anyone is familiar with Foundry or Juniper switches, that is
> what im looking to do. Basically, a completely seperate routing
> instance within each context by allowing certain network interfaces
> to bind within certain contexts only.

currently (and probably in the future too) the 'binding' is IP
based and not 'interface' based, as the context is on the host
and not 'within' a separate kernel/ip stack as in UML, QEMU,
Bochs ...

> (so say eth0 is in context 1 as eth0 and eth1 is in context 2 as eth0).

renaming interface might be simple though, but I don't see a
benefit from that, as applications do not 'bind' to interfaces
either (except for raw dump and such things)

> This would then allow you to have duplicate IP space between contexts.
> If this could be done in linux, thats a HUGE market to take away from
> Foundry and Juniper and Cisco (wink wink). Let me know your thoughts.

well, I'm pretty sure it can be done, but it probably needs
somebody to do it (nudge nudge ;) ..

HTH,
Herbert