From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Tue 28 Sep 2004 - 15:06:01 BST

> [...]
> Consider dummy0 a closed door, no traffic
> will ever pass that door. lo is a room with two doors, traffic goes into
> the room, is modified a little and leaves through to other door,
> re-entering the local host. And eth0 is the door to the outside, with a
> long tunnel and another door the leads to another box.
> So there are effectively 2 doors to choose, either have the traffic stay
> on the host, or leave it.
>
> [...]
>
> Again, it doesn't matter on which interface the ip address is setup, the
> packets always travel through the interface that leads to the target ip
> address, and that's lo in our case. A vServer is in no way a seperate
> box.

Thanks for the pictorial description; I start to figure it out...

Nevertheless, taking up from "lo as 2 doors", wouldn't it have been clearer to
have an alias for "lo", instead of a new interface "dummy0" for the sole purpose
of assigning it a different IP address?
I.e. is it possible to have e.g. a "lo:dummy0" alias? But maybe "dummy0" has
yet other properties (?) that are not apparent from the above explanation.

Gilles