From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 06 Oct 2004 - 08:21:31 BST

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 03:06:42PM -0600, Lucas Albers wrote:
> I'm using vserver as part of the debian util-vserver.

for 2.4/1.2x please use util-vserver 0.30,
for 2.6/1.9.x please use util-vserver 0.30.195

> When I created a vserver it appears to mount the proc directive correctly.
> These are the mount entries on a vserver that is working correctly:
> ----------
> /dev/hdv1 on / type vfs (none)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> ----------
>

> I setup a vserver by copying it from a working instance to a new instance,
> it appears I did not copy a dev file or similar correclty.
>
> These are the mount entries on the vserver that is not working correctly.
> /dev/hdv1 on / type ext3 (defaults)

please check with /proc/mounts as the entries in
/etc/mtab (which are read by 'mount') do not necessarily
reflect the reality ...

> It does not appear that the non functioning vserver is mounting proc or
> dev correctly.
> If I start it up and then mount proc from the host, it appears to work
> correctly.
> If I shut it down and proc is not mounted in the vserver from the host,
> then the shutdown process hangs.

please use 'vserver --debug <name> stop' to output
some debug information, and provide that for further
investigation ...

> Any idea what could be wrong:
>
> Here are the /etc/fstab entries for the working vserver,
> ----------
> proc /proc proc defaults 0
> 0
> ----------
>
> and the non-working vserver:
> ----------
> proc /proc proc defaults 0
> 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0
> 0

hmm, why two proc entries in /etc/fstab? maybe your
'scripts' try to unmount it twice? ...

> Thanks for creating such a great product.

it was a pleasure,
Herbert