From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Fri 22 Oct 2004 - 01:58:01 BST

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Sam Vilain wrote:

> Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>>
>>> yes, this is if the hard scheduler is actually enabled
>>

>> That's one I forgot to mention - none of this has any visible effect (and
>> by that I mean inability to drive the load to 30) unless sched_hard flag
>> is set.
>
> A load of 30 is not a real problem (in terms of CPU, anyway)

> So all you're doing is hiding the problem and underutilising your CPUs.

There is a lot of truth to that. While I agree that high load is a
actually a good thing, some programs like sendmail change their behaviour
based on load and do strange things like stop accepting new mail. _People_
are even worse thise way - their blod pressure rises with load :-). It
almost seems that some sort of a ficticious reading of a load inside a
context would be benificial.

Grisha