From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Wed 27 Oct 2004 - 16:36:34 BST

I haven't seen memory discussed on this list for a while :-)

I see that there are limits listed in the /proc/virtual/XXX/limits file,
but I couldn't find any documentation on what they mean and how to set
them.

I'm especially curious about the RSS limit. I _think_ I've seen mentions
that the FreeVPS patches force pages to be swapped out when the context
exceeds the RSS limits.

I'm not sure I have a formed opinion on this approach. On one hand it
seems like it will reduce real RAM utilization by contexts, on the other
it may generate unnecessary disk activity...

Does VServer do something like this? What's the latest memory limit
concensus?

Thanks,

Grisha