From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 28 Oct 2004 - 16:36:59 BST

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 10:49:14AM +0000, Mathieu Doidy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For strange reasons, I must use the default fedora core 2 kernel to
> boot one of my machine. I guess it is thanks to an obscure redhat patch
> that it works and anyway the vanilla kernel does not boot.
> The fact is I'd like to patch that kernel with the vserver patch but
> there is a lot of hunk failed with the current version and I am not
> knowledgeable enough to merge it by hand (especially when it concerns
> asm stuff).
> I am currently sticking to a classic chroot to do what I want but I'd
> rather use vserver (if possible).
>
> I was wondering if anyone had merged the vserver patch with the (ton of)
> redhat patches applied to the vanilla kernel.

one of fedoras aims is to allow a vanilla kernel
to be used instead of the FC kernels ...

so I'd say if you have issues with the vanilla
kernel this can have two reasons:

 a) your kernel config is not suited for that machine
 b) your hardware requires a special driver not
    included in mainline

while the former can be solved by changing the config
the latter might be simpler to solve by applying the
patches for this specific hardware ...