From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 30 Oct 2004 - 23:10:46 BST

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 05:25:41PM +0200, vs-technik wrote:
> hello!

> >> we have tested plesk7 a few weeks ago.
> >> the plesk-developer-crew have installed it on our vserver-machines.
> >
> HP> Sidenote: SWsoft does not only do control panels like
> HP> Plesk or Confixx it also produces and sells Virtuozzo ;)
> >
> >> results:
> >> a lot of problems in vserver-context.
> >
> HP> maybe the plesk-developer-crew is not so experienced
> HP> in handling 'other' virtualization techniques ...
>
> indeed.
>
> HP> anyway, is there a list of issues you encountered
> HP> and can you tell if they are pleask or vserver related?
>
> this was done by a ex-team-colleague.
> i did not crosscheck the problems.
>
> there are only 2 "snaps" outof _my_ mailarchive,
> but maybe it can help somebody:
>
> *)
> | ... `hostname` command is intensive used in Plesk libraries,
> | so please not disable this feature. ...
>
> *)
> | 0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/cmd_mpc.php3:1 psaerror(string "Unable to generate data: Unable to get
> | system data: invalid value of psa_server_ip = ''") 1: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/mpc.php:1
> | get_mpc_encrypted_data(string "extras_server", array)
>
> a workaround with a dummyscript should work.
>
> | /bin/hostname which will return '0':
> | #!/bin/sh
> | exit 0
>
> but the plesk-crew mean:
>
> | host `hostname`
> | ('hostname' should be original hostname utility from SuSE, not fake script).

well, hostname, for example will work both to get and
to set the hostname inside a vs1.9.2 or later linux-
vserver guest .. so that should not pose any problem

OTOH, host does just do ip lookup, and in this case
it's more likely to be a misconfigured dns/resolver
than any other issue ...

> so far i got the infos,
> the main-problem was the restricted access to the hardware-resources.

hmm, what would be the point in having a virtual
server, when this server has full access to the
hardware (resources) ...

> p.s:
> we use on our vserver-machines only suse-linux.
> and plesk is not "stable" with suse.

and not "stable" means?

> lg.
> k.