From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Sun 31 Oct 2004 - 22:35:12 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> Here goes the fourth Linux 2.6 development version
> of Linux-VServer aka vs1.9.3 'Samhain'

Well done Herbert! I find it outstanding how a complete port to 2.6 has
happened with so much attention to detail in what seems like just a few
months.

It was January 4th 2004 that the first experimental Linux 2.6 vserver
port was released, against linux 2.6.0. The first stable release,
vs1.9.0, was dated May 11th.

Herbert's incredible level of compassion towards administrators and
integrators with difficulties asking for help in the #vserver channel
has been the catalyst for getting the community thriving to test and
assist his no less than legendary coding performance.

Enrico's correspending reforming and redevelopment of the userland
utilities was no mean feat. From its complete tracking of the myriad of
vserver API changes through the 1.3.x transitional period to the current
day, I am constantly surprised by the comprehensiveness of these tools.

The result, a stable, managable release, well in time for the
community-wide consensus that Linux 2.6 itself can possibly be
considered resembling something that might just happen to look like its
stable. If you're lucky. I look forward to that time.

Apologies for not mentioning anyone else who deserves an honourable
mention, interested readers should definitely get a feeling for the size
of the community by browsing:

     http://www.linux-vserver.org/Hall+of+Fame

--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)