From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 03 Nov 2004 - 05:56:45 GMT

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 07:40:41PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> writes:
>
> >> Currently there are two conflicting requirements:
> >>
> >> (a) 'vserver ... enter' and operating from the outside in the vserver, and
> >> (b) cleaning /proc/mounts
> >
> > first, I would like to split up (a) into
> >
> > (a1) 'vserver ... enter' and
> > (a2) operating from the outside in the vserver
>
> ACK; (a2) is the real problem and required by tools
> like vrpm or vapt-get.

maybe we can arrange something else .. for example
we could 'clone' the vserver's namespace and 'add'
the original filesystem or any other mount point
without affecting the vserver's namespace ...

> > 1. get a new namespace
> > 2. create the vfsmount (for example via --bind)
> > 3. pivot_root (or similar, maybe new cmd?) to the vfsmount
> > 4. cleanup the namespace (remove host stuff)
> > 5. do all required/listed mounts inside that namespace
> > 6. create the context
> >
> > processes from outside can migrate into the namespace to satisfy (a1),
> > and the host administrator can operate on the files in /vservers/<name>
> > from the host (there could even be some script which does the same
> > mounts the vserver did, on the host, if somebody needs that)
>
> How do you recreate e.g. a tmpfs (inclusive its content)?

well, with the help of the 'great kernel' we can
actually do a lot of things ... we just need to
design a concept, then test and implement it ...

e.g. we could semi-auto-mount every filesystem
mounted inside on a different location outside,
if that is really that important ...

let's keep this discussion going, if possible
have a chat on irc with Björn and Sam ...