From: Lars E. D. Jensen (lars_at_dangvard.dk)
Date: Wed 01 Dec 2004 - 08:47:13 GMT

Hi Herbert

Helpful as always :)

Tirsdag den 30. november 2004 18:22 skrev Herbert Poetzl:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:59:43PM +0100, Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> > Hi list
> >
> > I have access to IP address space x.x.x.114 -> x.x.x.118
> >
> > But I can only catch x.x.x.118 with one virtual server.
> >
> > x.x.x.116 can't be allocated. Is this a configuration issue at my ISP or
> > is it a misconfiguration of my vservers?
>
> sorry my magic glass ball is in repair _again_ ;)
>
> need some details first like:
>
> - what kernel, patches, what tools?

Host server -> Debian 3.0r3 (stable)
Vservers -> Latest Debian Sarge
Kernel 2.4.28
Linux-VServer Stable 1.29 (no extra patches)
util-vserver 0.30
All found here: http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_release/v1.29/

> - what does 'catch' mean?
The vservers don't get assigned with an IP address, only one IP address get
assigned and that's xxx.xxx.132.118.
When I try to use the .118 address with different vservers it also works fine,
but other IP addresses like xxx.xxx.132.116 for instance doesn't get
assigned.

Host server /etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.134.227
        netmask 255.255.255.248
        network xxx.xxx.134.224
        broadcast xxx.xxx.134.231
        gateway xxx.xxx.134.225

Is it because of a misconfiguration of the vservers or the network maybe?
The host server is using xxx.xxx.134.xxx and the vservers use xxx.xxx.132.xxx,
could that influence on anything?

> - do you get any error messages, or just no data?

There's no error messages when starting/stopping the vservers. It just looks
like they get assigned the right IP-address. Like this:

Starting:
./vserver vswwwe1 start
Starting the virtual server vswwwe1
Server vswwwe1 is not running
ipv4root is now xxx.xxx.132.116
Host name is now vswwwe1
Domain name is now vswwwe1.dcmedia.biz
New security context is 1003
Starting system logging: syslog-ng.
Starting MTA: exim4.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.

Stopping:
./vserver vswwwe1 stop
Stopping the virtual server vswwwe1
Server vswwwe1 is running
ipv4root is now xxx.xxx.132.116
New security context is 1003
Stopping periodic command scheduler: cron.
Stopping MTA: exim4.
Stopping internet superserver: inetd.
Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Stopping deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Stopping system logging: syslog-ng.
Sending all processes the TERM signal...done.
Sending all processes the KILL signal...done.
Unmounting remote and non-toplevel virtual filesystems...done.
Rebooting... sleeping 5 seconds
Killing all processes

Thanks