From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 06 Dec 2004 - 16:02:28 GMT

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 01:10:38PM +0200, Andreea Gansac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted a while ago on this list a message about
> possible memory leaks for vserver patch 1.28 / kernel 2.4.26.
> I was told to upgrade to vserver patch 1.29 / kernel 2.4.28.
> Did so. Unfortunately my problem persists.
>
> Last Friday my server froze with a kernel panic.
> I attached the logs from /var/log/messages.
> Has anyone any idea why is this happening?
>
> The server is still suffering from memory leaks.
> Every 7 days I have to reboot the server to free the memory.
> Probably the lack of memory is to be blamed for the kernel
> panic issue.
>
> Here are some memory logs from the period the kernel panic appeared :

okay, that really looks like your system is out
of memory but, the interesting part is, why is
almost no swap space used?

so that indeed points to some kernel memory issue
which eats up all the lowmemory until the machine
is dead ...

> 2004-12-03 12:55:00
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 1024696 1018628 6068 0 1068
> 30768
> -/+ buffers/cache: 986792 37904
> Swap: 1020116 103076 917040
>
> 2004-12-03 12:56:01
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 1024696 1018740 5956 0 1144
> 30472
> -/+ buffers/cache: 987124 37572
> Swap: 1020116 103076 917040
>
> 2004-12-03 12:57:01
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 1024696 1018556 6140 0 1192
> 29768
> -/+ buffers/cache: 987596 37100
> Swap: 1020116 103072 917044
>
> 2004-12-03 13:09:00
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 1024696 139268 885428 0 15760
> 60528
> -/+ buffers/cache: 62980 961716
> Swap: 1020116 0 1020116
>
> Until I move all the vservers on 2.6 I have to
> keep this server alive. Please help!
>
> This is the hardware configuration for the host server:
>
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
> 1G RAM (highmem on)
> 1G Swap

in andy case, with your amount of memory I would
advise to turn of high mem (which will result in a
minimal loss of memory, but better performance and
probably higher stability in general)

the detailed kernel .config might shed some light
on what makes your system different from the others
because I believe that many folks are still using
the stable branch, and they probably do not reboot
every week, so we have to pinpoint the cause for
your issues to fix them ...

HTH,
Herbert

PS: will look at the attached messages and comment
about them later ...