From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 25 Dec 2004 - 00:29:38 GMT

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 07:09:37PM -0500, sergey ivanov wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just managed to start squid in vserver's environment and it works
> as a transparent proxy for my LAN, but:
> I have dynamic IP, which is assigned to me by provider. So I entered it
> into vserver's conf file. Now it contains line:
> IPROOT="eth1:192.168.10.23 eth0:69.143.81.80"
> where eth1 is network card in LAN and eth0 has dynamic IP granted by
> provider.

> Without correct IP, even if I leave eth0:0.0.0.0 in this conf file,
> squid can not get out to the web.

I assume that the 69.143.81.80 is the ip which was assigned
to you by your provider ... so that is the ip that you want
to use when connecting to the internet ...

as the 'first' ip specified in you config is special and
you usually do not want the vserver config to replace the
ip given to you by your provider I would try to use the
following config:

IPROOTDEV=""
IPROOT="69.143.81.80 eth1:192.168.10.23"

which will create a new alias for eth1 (192.168.10.23) but
just 'use' the ip which is your network ip ...

> Should I write script, to see if my IP is changed and rewrite vserver's
> config and restart it?
> Or there is another solution?

if you want to be able to 'adapt' to changes of this ip
easily you can use a private ip for the vserver and
a nat table rule to replace the private ip by your official
one, you then 'just' have to change the nat rule when your
official ip changes ...

HTH,
Herbert