From: Thomas Weber (l_vserver_at_mail2news.4t2.com)
Date: Thu 13 Jan 2005 - 14:27:19 GMT

Hi there,

after setting up a remote box (no console access) i always lost connection
after a vserver stop. first i thought it was a kernel crash, but then i
figured that it was only the network interface beeing turned off.
after finaly cloning the whole box to a local machine (ever tried to
solve such a problem remote only without network ;) and a couple of
hours pulling my hair (i run plenty of vservers at diffrent locations
for quite some time) i figured that the machine didn't have the capability
module loaded.
No capability module/support in kernel -> the shutdown scripts inside
the vserver shut down all my network interfaces of the whole box.

So I think the util-vserver package should make sure that there is
capability support in the kernel before starting the vserver or else it
will silently run insecure vservers!

this was with 2.6.9+vs1.9.3 and util-vserver 0.30.196

  Tom