From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 27 Jan 2005 - 23:04:24 GMT

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:38:08PM +0100, Torsten Kurbad wrote:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 9:25:52 PM, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > I guess the 'reboots the host' issue is gone now, right?
>
> Yes, that is accomplished now. Thanks!
>
> > next step is to use 'reboot -f' instead of reboot, if
> > you do not have some kind of init (inside the vserver)
> > handling the reboot syscall for you ...
>
> > reboot/shutdown/poweroff and friends just send a message
> > to init (which usually does the reboot), but the -f option
> > makes those tools (actually copies of init) do the syscall
> > directly ...
>
> "reboot -f" simply returns to the prompt without actually restarting
> anything, as do "halt -f" and "shutdown -nr now". The latter one issues:

okay, maybe you could a) strace the reboot -f with
  strace -fF -o reboot.trace reboot -f
and upload that output somewhere (or attach it)
and b) check in the system/kernel log for messages
from the kernel where it states that the helper
can not be executed (for whatever reason)

> zope3 ~ # shutdown -nr now
> shutdown: can't idle init.
>
> Broadcast message from root (pts/2) (Thu Jan 27 22:33:06 2005):
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW!
>
> /sbin/rc reboot (Gentoo's default inittab entry for runlevel 6)
> shuts down everything, but doesn't reenter the default runlevel
> afterwards.
>
> The vserver has the capability CAP_NET_RAW to be pingable.

pingable? you mean you gave that so that vserver root
can use the 'ping' tool (and other tools, like network
sniffers)

> Tried CAP_SYS_BOOT in addition but that didn't change anything.

that should be enabled by default ...

> Also tried setting the fakeinit flag, but than the vserver to refuses
> to work...
>
> Still any suggestions for a working what's wrong with my setup?

if all fails, could you upload the image of your
vserver somewhere? best way to capture it with
  dump 0zf vserver.dump /vservers/<name>

HTH,
Herbert

PS: irc is an option too ...