From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Mon 31 Jan 2005 - 16:02:17 GMT

I just wanted to confirm this on the list, let me know if the following
statement isn't true. (I think that if true, this is something that
should be well documented somewhere):

There is no way to accurately account for a context's memory utilization.
The values reported by vserver-stat and in /proc/virtual/*/limit are the
sum of VM/VML/RSS for each individual process, and it does not account for
the fact that these processes could be referencing same pages in memory,
which they usually do after a fork(). So the more fork()s, the more skewed
the counters are.

Also, there is no simple way to overcome this limitation without
significantly changing the code that deals with memory management.

Grisha