From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 16 Feb 2005 - 02:08:59 GMT

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:15:32AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Well that's a pretty sorry excuse for a Subject but the only thing I could
> think of. :-)
>
> Short story. A client got their Vserver broken into and though it appears
> I got them cleaned out but I'm still doing some forensics. There were
> some files changed ( I don't think they knew it was a Vserver ) and fcheck
> caught the problem files but I'm not sure if they are even needed.

hehe ... good that they didn't knew then ...

> Is there any reason for ifdown, ifup, installkernel, ldconfig, sln,
> vhalt, vreboot are needed or should be in a Vserver?

the is no use, but also no harm in ifdown/ifup if the
vserver does not have the NET_ADMIN capability ...
ldconfig and sln might be useful inside .. who knows
but vhalt and vreboot are not used anymore ...

> This is pretty old kernel ( CTX ) and I think I made a mistake and
> created the Vserver from the main server.
> I'm also seeing some $VSERVER/dev/hdx?, $VSERVER/dev/log,
> $VSERVER/dev/stdout, $VSERVER/dev/ttyo?, and $VSERVER/dev/tty.

anything more than the following is not needed and might
(or will) be dangerous if supplied ...

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 7 Apr 6 2003 full
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb 16 01:42 log=
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Apr 6 2003 null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5, 2 Feb 16 03:07 ptmx
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 16 01:37 pts/
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 8 Apr 6 2003 random
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5, 0 Apr 6 2003 tty
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 9 Apr 6 2003 urandom
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Apr 6 2003 zero

std* are usually symlinks into /proc so they should be
fine ...

> Any pointers or thoughts?

HTH,
Herbert