From: Lars E. D. Jensen (lars_at_dangvard.dk)
Date: Thu 17 Feb 2005 - 18:08:41 GMT

Torsdag den 17. februar 2005 18:30 skrev Micah Anderson:
> Stephen Frost schrieb am Thursday, den 17. February 2005:
> > > well, then maybe the debian very-unstable/development-testing branch
> > > would fit better (no idea what the debian policies are ;)
> >
> > The issue with this is that Debian is looking to release and things in
> > unstable migrate to testing and then eventually will be released with
> > stable. unstable isn't really a whole seperate tree in that sense, at
> > least, not right now. After stable is released it'll go back to being
> > the latest-greatest that compiles and works after a cursory test.
>
> It is possible in Debian to have things put into unstable, and keep
> them from migrating into Sarge. There are many packages that are being
> held back from moving into testing so that Sarge can release. It is
> perfectly reasonable to put the vserver "development" tools into
> unstable and keep them out of Sarge... if you dont want to go that
> route, there is also the experimental repository. However, in my
> experience the vserver "development" tools are really stable.
>
> Micah

IMHO putting vserver patch into unstable isn't good seen from a production
environment pov.

The ideal solution to me would be to use the official debianized 2.6.10 from
unstable and backport this to testing release (including the Debian patches
if possible) with the newest 1.9.4 vserver patch.

Or

Make it possible to apply the newest vserver patch to current 2.6 kernel in
Debian testing.

This would fit as a good base for a production environment since you get
vserver bugs out of the way and get newest features. The latter is best I
think, but demands more work since it's probably more difficult to apply a
1.9.4 vserver patch on a 2.6.8 kernel (testings 2.6 kernel) - if possible at
all...

Of course this would also have to be maintained by a cool kernel-source
debianizer, who sadly isn't me :(

But I don't know if you think this is a good idea.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Lars E. D. Jensen