From: Helmut Wollmersdorfer (helmut.wollmersdorfer_at_gmx.at)
Date: Sun 20 Feb 2005 - 22:29:52 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> yesterday evening I had the pleasure to meet with
> Serguei Beloussov. we had excellent Dinner at the
> 'Schnitzelwirt'

Which one? There are so many "Schnitzelwirt" in and around Vienna.

> he clearly pointed out that his company has some
> interest, that virtualization techniques - like the
> one linux-vserver uses - 'gain momentum' in the face
> of system emulators like VMware(tm) and partitioning
> approaches like Xen.

There is a demand for things like these. Running old software without
migration to newer OSs is one purpose, test environments is the other.
E.g. I use VMware for testing stuff on different OS-versions, and on
different OSs as well. The advantage is the easy installation,
performance is the great disadvantage.

UML is nice for test automation, e.g. in the area of simulating clusters
  at desaster recovery.

Partitioning is nice, if some few similar environments are needed. E.g.
on my last projects we had 12 test environments partitioned on 5 real
IBM/AIX machines.

Maybe I am wrong, but for vserver I see the great advantage there, what
the name says: virtual servers - very nice for virtual server housing.

At least I see a demand on integrating virtualization methods with
cluster techniques like heartbeat, DRBD and SSI.

> he also told me that they are
> watching this project very closely and that, while
> it is small compared to their products, it's quite
> interesting ...

> after that we had some fun with Billards (Carambol)
> and right afterwards I was basically offered a job
> where I would be able to do some kernel development
> and get payed for doing so ...

> let me know what you think!

Hopefully the results of such a cooperation will remain Open Source
under GPL.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer