From: Kilian Krause (kk_at_verfaction.de)
Date: Mon 21 Feb 2005 - 01:38:52 GMT

Hi Helmut,

> Solutions can be:
> - the Debian maintainer finds a way to keep in track

he is.

> - some advanced users provide patches or .debs outside of Debian

there are packages that WorkForMe(TM) and i have long standing offered
to hand them to everybody interested on this list. Moreover Ola is
having access to the SVN where they came from and should thus not have
any problem moving whatever he likes from there into experimental. You
see it's not about technical limitations, it's politics. And I daresay
that even though I don't agree from a personal point on keeping 1.9x out
of Debian, he's very helpful and positive about packaing the new alpha
tools.

The only problem, which may or may not be fixed in the meantime, was the
lack of a 32bit-kernel API for x86_64 CPUs with 32bit userland. That was
however an upstream problem. Apart from that they do work just nicely
for me (yet not as intuitively as i sometimes wish, but that's another
upstream issue which was also addressed as part of the alpha-packaging).

--
Best regards,
 Kilian