From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 24 Feb 2005 - 13:00:15 GMT

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:55:51AM +0100, Dennis Roos wrote:
> Heyaz,
>
> I am trying to migrate to the new configuration method of util-vserver
> (0.30.196) and have come across the following problem:
>
> * vlan support is either broken, or changed in a way I am unable to
> understand (very probable as this is my first go at the new
> configuration method); an example:
> I create /etc/vservers/${SVRNAME}/interfaces/0/dev containing
> 'eth1.4000'.
>
> When I start ${SVRNAME} using vserver ${SVRNAME} start; it gives me the
> following output:
> ERROR: trying to add VLAN #0 to IF -:eth1 4000:- error: Invalid
> argument
> Cannot find device "eth1.4000"
> SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
> Cannot find device "eth1.4000"
> SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

which tools did you use? 0.30.196? or 0.30.204?

> On a side note (no pun intended); why moving from a single file
> configuration to a configuration tree ? In my opinion this will make
> things more complicated than needed:
> A config file with comments containing examples say a thousand words and
> give the user a head start with his first install. The configuration
> tree (without examples) will cause for a steep learning curve; it takes
> time to find your way around the tree.

I guess it is simple a matter of preference, and it
was Enrico's preference to do it this way ... but
if you think about it, this config 'tree' can be easily
mapped to a property list, which could be stored in
a single file ...

actually I did wonder many times now why nobody did
create a tool to map one to the other (or even to
'convert' an existing legacy config file to the new
config layout)