From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 02 Mar 2005 - 20:55:20 GMT

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:05:43PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 06:16:09PM +0100, Benjamin GIGON wrote:
> > Hi everybody :-)
> > I'm not sure if it's usefull, but I merged latest grsec
> > (2.1.1-2.6.10-as2-20050124225) and latest vserver (1.9.4) under Linux
> > 2.6.10.
>
> Alas, 2.6.11 release has just been announced. Thanks nevertheless!
>
> Speaking of which, while Xen is moving towards being included in the main

sorry but xen will _never_ be included into mainline ...

what will hopefully happen soon is that support for the
xen architecture will be included into mainline ...

now what's the difference here? simple, you can't run
linux on xen right now (without some major patching) so
there need to be some adjustments (like there where for
x86_64) to allow for unmodified (but built for the xen
architecture) kernels to run on a xen platform ...

now as we know, linux-vserver has no big problem with
unpatched kernels, as there is no kernel which will be
run inside a vserver guest (in contrary to UML which is
already an architecture supported by the linux kernel)

what will the inclusion of the xen arch in mainline
change regarding linux-vserver? not much, well yes, it
will be possible to install linux vserver kernels on
xen platforms (as linux-vserver is primarily against
mainline kernels and strives to support many archs)

> kernel, is there any chance VServer patch ever will?

well, actually I do not really consider linux-vserver
so general that it should be on every linux box, be
it my mobile phone or your favorite linux game engine
it's very specific software and I guess it's not worth
the code in mainline when it is used by, let's say 1%
of the linux kernel users ...

of course we are trying (and often we succeed) to get
various independant features in mainline, reducing the
total patch size as much as possible ...

HTH,
Herbert