From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 02 Mar 2005 - 22:07:04 GMT

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:03:11PM -0500, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> >>kernel, is there any chance VServer patch ever will?
> >
> >well, actually I do not really consider linux-vserver
> >so general that it should be on every linux box, be
> >it my mobile phone or your favorite linux game engine
> >it's very specific software and I guess it's not worth
> >the code in mainline when it is used by, let's say 1%
> >of the linux kernel users ...
>
> But on the other hand this (or very similar) functionality
> is standard in FreeBSD and Solaris.

yes, except that IMHO the FreeBSD jail is a better
chroot() with none of the resource or virtualization
features present in linux-vserver and solaris is
bloated anyways ...

but don't get me wrong here, if the mainline folks
manage to agree on some 'common' stuff which they want
to see included, I'll be the last person to stand in
their way ... It's just not a priority for me to get
it into mainline at any cost ...

hope that clarifies,
Herbert