From: Kevin Pendleton (kevin_at_roundsphere.com)
Date: Mon 07 Mar 2005 - 13:54:52 GMT

Hi all,

I'm new to this vserver thing, I'm taking up where someone else left
off, so I'm sure this is a newbie question, but your help is greatly
appreciated.

I have a dual 1.1 GHz server with 1 GB of RAM running ~40 vservers. The
server has started crashing lately on a pretty regular basis with a ton
of VM: killing process httpd (different processes) --alloc_pages: 0-
order allocation failed (gfp=0xld2/0) written to the console. I have to
hard boot the server to bring it back up.

The server is running software RAID on three SCSI disks and is running
2.4.27-vs1.29-rc2 on Red Hat 9. It didn't seem to happen before one of
the SCSI drives died and was rebuilt.

My question is this: which is the right solution here? add more memory
or upgrade the kernel/vserver? Does this combination have a known
memory leak or is it more likely that there is a memory leak with one of
the apps running in a particular vserver?

I'm sure the answer is probably both, that I need more memory and I need
to upgrade and include other features like cpu throttling - is there
memory throttling?

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

Kevin