From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 08 Mar 2005 - 02:31:48 GMT

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:37:21PM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I'll start here since the word 'context' came up when tried researching
> it.
>
> I have a Dual PII/250 with 512/MB Ram, Adaptec 29160 SCSI host adapter,
> IDE CDROM, dual NICs ( eth0 => LAN, eth1 => WAN ), Fedora Core 3 -- Linux
> version 2.6.10-vs1.9.4 ( RPM built by OpenVPS ).

hey, some system information, appreciate that!

> I created my reference vserver from a Fedora Core 3 minimal plus some
> added packages and a little editing of some configuration files in the
> reference vserver. The new vserver and the reference vserver were created
> using a 'fixed' newvserver from Jacques' utilities. The PostgreSQL
> vserver was created without unification.

which leaves the question for the tools you use ...

> I installed PostreSQL 8.0.1 from the PGDG RPMs. This required mx as I put
> it all in. When I started PostgreSQL the first time ( after sorting out a
> missing /etc/sysconfig/network file ) I got an error about /usr/bin/chcon
> and permission denied.
>
> The line out of /etc/rc.d/init.d/posrgresql ( with variables expanded ) is
>
> [ -x /usr/bin/chcon ] && /usr/bin/chcon -t postgresql_log_t \
> /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log

# which chcon
which: no chcon in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/script:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)

# which chcontext
/usr/sbin/chcontext

so looks like something either PostreSQL specific or
installation specific to me ...

> Since the man page mentions changing the context I though this list was
> a good first place to ask. I'll be hitting the PostgreSQL ADMIN list
> next. The error message has not appeared again so I can't replicated it.
> Would this be a PostgreSQL issue or some setting I need to change in
> the reference vserver or vserver itself before starting PostgreSQL? I
> probably will only create a few Vservers for running PostgreSQL but
> inquiring minds want to know.

please let us know what chcon does ...

TIA,
Herbert