From: Helmut Wollmersdorfer (helmut.wollmersdorfer_at_gmx.at)
Date: Tue 08 Mar 2005 - 10:52:09 GMT

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Another question: I'm about to buy memory for a couple of servers, to run
> VServers. What's the memory footprint of a typical VServer (running, let's
> say, postfix/apache/openvpn)? 100 MBytes, twice that?

Depends on what is running.
E.g. for a native Linux server (non-vserver) running
Apache+PostgreSQL+Antville(Java-Wiki-bloat) 128 MB is to small, and 164
would be better. Performance is bad.

Just plain HTML, plus some Perl, PHP, SSI at Apache, mail etc. runs at
~150 MB without any swapping during weeks (total physical memory is 512 MB).

Calculating 150-200 MB would be better. Adding memory usally is the
cheapest way to tune your system.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer