From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 12 Mar 2005 - 01:08:30 GMT

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:37:43AM -0800, sachin suke wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can anybody tell me what are the
> advanatges of the hard CPU limit?

advantages:

 - a context can not consume more than the _allowed_
   amount of cpu resources (configured as token bucket)
 - you can 'freeze' a context at any time with the
   sched_pause flag

disadvantages:

 - the scheduling overhead is larger than on a normal
   system, or with the sched_prio config
 - processes might run out of tokens at unfortunate
   moments (e.g. when waiting for I/O and such)

HTH,
Herbert