From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 01 Apr 2005 - 21:23:04 BST

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 05:36:29PM +0100, Gaz Wilson wrote:

> I have been reading through the list archives about NFS and am trying
> to get the userspace server unfs3 working, but when I start it, the
> server errors with:
>
> unable to register (NFS3_PROGRAM, NFS_V3, udp)
>
> or, if I force tcp only operation:
>
> unable to register (NFS3_PROGRAM, NFS_V3, tcp)
>
> Did I miss something in the docs about this - do I need to tweak the
> portmapper in some way? I notice a script v_portmap on the main
> host - what exactly does this do (am I a being blind, or do these scripts
> have no documentation to explain them?)

the v_* wrappers on the host are there to restrict
the services '*' to some IPs, so that similar services
inside the guests could bind to their IPs ...
(otherwise they would fail, because the host's service
is already bound to that port ...)

depending on the portmap, it might be tricky to get it
working inside a guest ...

HTH,
Herbert