From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 05 Apr 2005 - 23:29:04 BST

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 10:40:39AM +0200, eschler_at_global.de wrote:
> try to build your vservers in loopback devices.
>

> e.g.:
>
> dd bs=1024k if=/dev/zero of="IMAGE NAME" count="SIZE IN MB"
> losetup /dev/loop0 "IMAGE NAME"
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/loop0
> mount /dev/loop0 "VSERVER DIR"
> install-fc1 "VSERVER DIR" minimum

that's what I call the UML way of doing things ...
(no offence meant to you or the UML folks)

> for backing up just umount your image and copy it to a different
> destination.

while this actually works quite well, it has a bunch
of drawbacks, which can be easily avoided by doing it
the linux-vserver way ... namely:

 - loopbacks cause double the I/O you really need
   (block is writen to the loopback, which schedules
   another write to the file)
 - everything basically is cached twice (needs more
   memory)
 - loopbacks are not very flexible regarding resizing

but they have the following advantages (in some cases)

 - they provide a separate filesystem/device
 - they can be resized with some tricks ...
 - they can be backed up/duplicated easily

at least the first two things can be done with less
overhead in a more flexible way by using LVM/DM volumes
and the backup/copy find a solution in the snapshot
feature (life backups, yeah) and the utilization of
backup/archive/copy tools like

 - dump/restore
 - rsync
 - tar
 - cp -va

most of them also work great over network, which allows
you to make a 'copy' of a vserver across hosts ...

still, all this is not as efficient as it could be, if
you manage to utilize unification and have disk limits
on a shared partition, you can cut down the amount of
buffered files/disk blocks even further, without losing
any of the 'original' flexibility ... of course YMMV

> i made that from a athlon architecture 2.4.27-vs1.29 to a celeron
> architecture 2.6.11-vs1.95 and it worked for
> me (Fedora Core1 Vserver).

yep, as said, should work fine ...